26 October 2010

First Full Day

Well, I wouldn't call the day full but I did wake up in the Netherlands so in that respect I'm considering it my first full day.

I slept pretty late (especially for me) and I needed it. One of the worst parts of living in a hotel with dogs (dogs who are used to unrestricted access to the back yard) is having to put them on leashes to take them out multiple times/day. It was hovering around freezing this morning so our short jog was, well, short. It is forecast to be in the 50s during the day and 40s at night for the rest of the week so that's not so bad.

I took my time this morning as I didn't want to have to drive during rush hour. I survived my first attempt at driving in the Netherlands (or, should I say the Netherlands survived my first attempt?). I had one tiny mishap on my way home when I accidentally turned onto a bike path (which was as wide as a street and, thankfully, contained no bikes at the time) due to some confusing (to me) lane markers but I quickly got back on the actual road. And once on the way home I misunderstood GPS's direction at a round-a-bout. But a simple U-turn fixed that problem. Tomorrow I have to go to the NATO base where I'll be working so I'll get to drive another route.

I got to work around 11 and started finding my around the tiny base (it is easily walkable and driving from one thing to the next is absurd) visiting various offices required for inprocessing. I got my ration cards. That's right; ration cards. Alcohol, tobacco and coffee. Except they say coffee hasn't been rationed since sometime after WWII (the gov't doesn't get around to updating forms very often).

Right now all I'm tasked with is inprocessing and finding a house and I'm expected to take lots of time to rest and acclimate. Well, that and I don't have an office or a computer or, really, anything to do yet since the project hasn't started. I see my first potential house tomorrow.

The dogs are doing well and have made themselves quite comfortable. They seem to think it is okay for them to be on the bed here. We're going to have to have a talk about this.

I promise to take pictures of something other than the dogs soon!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are acclimating quite well. I'm so proud of you! And I hate to admit it, but I think Tex and Cheyenne on the bed are just too adorable. LOL. Let us know how the house looks tomorrow. Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete