30 March 2013

The Eiffel Tower Bridge - Porto

That's not actually the name of it. And that's not the bridge I visited. I visited the Ponte Luiz I Bridge; a metal arch bridge that spans the Douro River between the cities of Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia in Portugal. At the time of construction its span of 172 m was the longest of its type in the world. It was designed by Téophile Seyrig; a partner of Gustave Eiffel.


I loved the spiral ladder although I'm very glad I'll never have to climb it!

The upper deck carries the light rail and the lower deck is used by wheeled-traffic and pedestrians.



The blue steel arch bridge seen here is the D. Maria Pia Bridge also known as the "Eiffel Tower Bridge" and, at least from a distance, seems to have a lot of the same elements as the Ponte Luiz I bridge. That makes sense since Téophile Seyrig and Gustave Eiffel worked on it together. D. Maria Pia was the wife of Luiz I. I wanted to go see it but they were demolishing some houses on the hillside and the road was blocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment