11 September 2013

10 Years Ago Today

September 11, 2001 was different for me.  I wasn't there. I didn't live through it. I was in a rural village in Ghana and no one there even knew what a multistory building was, let alone a sky scraper. I heard the news on the radio. I never saw the TV footage and still haven't. Although I knew what happened it really didn't impact my life there one iota. 

September 11, 2003, 10 years ago today, was the day I left Ghana after serving for 27 months as a Peace Corps Volunteer. I boarded a South African Airways flight to Johannesburg en route to Bangkok.  I didn't know if I'd ever see Ghana again.

I'll be going back to Ghana in about 6 weeks (I was there 5 years ago as well). One of my former students (and somewhat adopted son) has just completed his master's degree and will graduate. I will be there to see it.

1 comment: